The last update I promised a video. I am a bit late, but here it is:
I have managed to reach a personal milestone with my c# data storage solution that I named “wfBase“. I have finalized the file structure and internal memory structure for the tables. This will allow me to actually start using it to store game data. This has been a big roadblock for game related code that I wanted to work on.
Most of the game content I want to create needs to be dynamic. What I mean by dynamic is I want the player to be able to add content to the game at runtime. Most Unity games the content is baked into Unity’s asset system. Unity’s asset system is read-only at runtime, With dynamic content, you need to be able to update data storage at runtime.
I could have used SQLite or some other such solution for this, and to be honest, that may have been the smart move. The problem is “wfBase” is sort of an itch that I have been trying to scratch for a long time. I have long wanted a c# based general-purpose system for this type of thing, and now I have a good start to that.
You may have noticed I have avoided calling it a database. That is because while it does similar things to a database (store data). This is a much simpler beast, but not without some unique features that make it handy for storing game related data.
Not much else to talk about other than I did add a few video links in the Cat Videos section. Take a look if you have time.